Porsche 944 1.8t swap

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Andy.G90

Porsche 944 1.8t swap

Post by Andy.G90 »

Hi!

I'm working on a 1.8t swap on a Porsche 944. Two years ago when I was driving for the first time after winter maintenance and rust repairs the engine goes dooof and dies. It turns out that a valve broke and a piece from the valve gets stuck between the head and the cylinder. So that is the start of my 1.8t swap.

I'm planning on getting around 400 horsepower but that has raised since I started the swap so it might be more in the end.

The engine is an APU from a passat, dbw and no vvt. I have started looking into different standalone ECUs since I think the old me7.5 is kinda outdated. I found rusefi and think this is a great way to proceed! I need to register the car with the original ecu though due to regulations and laws. But after that the fun begins!

My only concern is which way to go.. There is so many great rusefi boards so I don't know which one to choose. Right now Im choosing between a Mre or a hellen 121. Which route do you guys think is the best to take?

Cheers!
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Porsche 944 1.8t swap

Post by AndreyB »

MRE is proven universal boards - that's the predictable safe option

hellen121vag never took off, I am not aware of anyone having stock for sale. While those are known to have start an engine there is no one with much experience. You are on your own with the files to fabricate boards.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Andy.G90

Re: Porsche 944 1.8t swap

Post by Andy.G90 »

Thanks mate! That's answers all my question, MRE it is!

As soon as I get the engine started I will gladly share the wiring diagram, all for this awesome project :D